Attackers behind Maze Ransomware has claimed responsibility for an attack against leading wire and cable manufacturer Southwire Company, LLC.
Southwire discovered early Monday morning that its network had been affected by a cyber incident. Following a notification from the manufacturer’s security monitoring system about suspicious activity on the network, a “self-quarantine” was immediately implemented.
The entire computer network was shutdown, and a full investigation into the incident commenced.
In a letter sent to the company’s partners on December 11, CEO Rich Stinson said: “Although many of our locations remained operational through the quarantine period, certain functions were impacted, and we apologize for the inconvenience this disruption has caused to our valued employees, customers and community and industry partners.”
Southwire has disclosed that the ransom demanded is 850 BTC, equating to almost $6 million. In the ransom note, threat actors claim that the company data has been exfiltrated, ready to be released if the ransom is not paid.
“The safety of our employees, the quality of our products and our commitment to our customers are critically important to us. Today, we’re bringing critical systems back online, prioritizing manufacturing and shipping functions that enable us to create and send product to our customers. We are dedicated to restoring all systems and bringing all of our employees back to work as safely and as quickly as possible,” said Jason Pollard, vice president of Talent Acquisition and Communications for Southwire, to the Chronicle.
The post #Privacy: US wire manufacturer falls victim to cyber attack appeared first on PrivSec Report.